- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/4 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 3/4 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Strawberries, for garnish
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks, yogurt, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, oil and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Beat the 3 egg whites in a clean bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle in the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff and glossy.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Fold in the yogurt mixture with a whisk until just blended. Whisk one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter. Fold in remaining whites with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Tap the pan on the counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen edges and invert cake onto rack. Remove the paper and let cool completely.
- To make filling: Meanwhile, combine rhubarb, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, pinch of salt and cloves in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cold.
- Toss strawberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until juicy, about 30 minutes. Drain and discard juice. Stir the strawberries into the rhubarb.
- To make frosting & assemble cake: Combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla in a mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. 10. Slice the cake into 2 layers. Place top layer cut-side up on a platter. Spread with the strawberry-rhubarb filling. Top with the remaining layer. 11. Not more than 2 hours before serving, spread top and sides of the cake with the frosting. Garnish with strawberries.