Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Would You Retire If You Could?

I've got another non-romance recommendation for you in Early Bird, although it does contain a search for love and sex, along with many laugh out loud moments.  So many of us toil for a paycheck (yup, I'm at work right now!).  Some enjoy it, others simply want to pay the mortgage and afford a few dinners out.  Others work to sock away plenty for retirement.  But what if you didn't have to? 
In this hilarious memoir, after being a writer for David Letterman, Mr. Rothman 'retires' at 28.  He opts to move to a Boca Raton retirement village.  Yes, he embraces everything cliched about retirement, including early bird dinners, shuffleboard, and finding his place in the very hierarchical community.  There are wonderful character sketches of his new neighbors.  Plus, he has to figure out how to date a woman his own age while living the life of an 80 year old.  

I have friends who swear they'll retire at 40.  While I'm not thrilled when my alarm clock goes off every day, I do enjoy mingling with people, and having a purpose.  If we won the lottery tonight (oh yes, I bought a ticket!) and my husband could quit his job, I don't know what he'd do.  Sure, he'd golf more often, but I think he'd be at a loss fairly quickly.  Bored, even.  What about you?

1 comment:

  1. Mark told me just before we got married that if he ever made enough money to sustain us, there'd be no need for me to work. Until that moment, such a thing had never occurred to me. I was raised to be an independent, self-sustaining woman. Never once did I think of marriage as a route out of work.

    But as it turns out, I haven't worked full-time in six or seven years. Does that make me retired? The funny thing is that in a few weeks (!), this kid will pop out and I'll be just another stay-at-home-mom. I have unwittingly signed up to work full-time again!

    Mark is always saying that he'd keep on working even if I hit it big like Nora. He'd golf more, too, but I know he's unhappy when he has nothing productive to do. Most of us are, I think, except that I'd be pretty happy reading all day. ;)

    ReplyDelete