There are lots of romance writing contests out there. A majority of them ask for the first 20 pages of a manuscript. But the Maryland Romance Writers like to focus on the heat, so our contest is all about the sexy stuff - any 20 pages of it.
2012 REVEAL YOUR INNER VIXEN CONTEST
Attention romance writers: show us the chemistry!
WHY ENTER THIS CONTEST?
* FEEDBACK: Entrants receive constructive feedback from first-round judges, many of them published authors. Finalists receive a brief critique by the final round judge.
* EXPOSURE: Finalists in each category will be judged by editors publishing in that subgenre. First place winners and category finalists will be listed in advertising and announcements in the RWA® Romance Writers Report.
* PRIZES: First place category winners receive a $50 cash prize and a gold Vixen pin!
* OPPORTUNITY: Last year, ONE THIRD of our contest finalists were asked to submit partial or full manuscripts.
WHAT TO ENTER
Up to 20 pages of any scene that showcases your use of sensual tension, plus an unjudged 1-page set-up (optional).
WHO CAN ENTER?
Anyone! Membership in Maryland Romance Writers or Romance Writers of America is NOT required. The author can be published or not yet published, but the contest entry must be original and uncontracted as of September 1, 2012.
WHAT ARE THE CATEGORIES?
(Word counts apply to targeted finished length of completed manuscript.)
* Series Contemporary: 1950-present, 40,000-79,000 words finished length
* Single Title: 1950-present, 80,000-120,000 words finished length
* Historical: BCE-1950, 40,000-120,000 words finished length
* Alternative: time travel, fantasy, futuristic, paranormal, 85,000-120,000 words finished length
* Erotic Romance: 60,000-120,000 words finished length
* LGBT Romance: 40,000-120,000, any genre/era
* Young Adult: 40,000+ words finished length
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
$20 MRW members
$25 Non-MRW Members–U.S. entries and International entries
WHO JUDGES MY ENTRY?
Each entry will be judged by THREE qualified judges, i.e., trained and/or published authors. The three top-scoring entries in each category will advance to the final round for evaluation by one editor and one agent who acquire in that genre.
2012 Judge List
Series Contemporary: Elizabeth Mazer at HQN & Jessica Alvarez at Bookends Literary
Single Title: Emily Ohanjanians at HQN-Mira & Paige Wheeler at Folio Literary
Historical: Erin Molta at Entangled & Nicole Lukosil at Bradford Literary Agency
Alternative: Chelsey Emmelhainz at Avon & Nicole Resciniti at Seymour Agency
Erotic: Christa Desir at Samhain & Jenn Schober at Spencerhill Associates
LGBT: Kelli Collins at Elloras Cave& Alissa Davis at Carina Press
YA: Aubrey Poole at Sourcebooks & Kevan Lyon at Marsal Lyon
WHEN IS THE DEADLINE?
Contest opened for entries on July 1, 2012. Entries must be received and time-stamped no later than October 1, 2012.
Visit http://www.marylandromancewriters.com/ or email the 2012 “Reveal Your Inner Vixen” Contest Coordinators, Christi Barth or Eliza Knight, email@example.com