SAFFRON CHICKEN, BOILED LEMON & GREEN BEAN SALAD
- 1 lemon, preferably unwaxed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste, divided
- Pinch saffron
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, pounded to 1/2-inch thick
- 1 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 container feta
Prick the lemon in 3 or 4 places with a fork and place in a small pot with 1 teaspoon of salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 50 minutes or until the lemon is very tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
In the meantime, mix the saffron, mint, garlic, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a small bowl. Pour the marinade into a sealable plastic bag, add the chicken and let it marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
Steam the green beans for 4 minutes and set aside to cool. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
Preheat a large skillet or grill pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cook the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Set aside to cool. Cut into bite-sized chunks.
Slice the ends off of the lemon and slice it in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp. Slice the peel thinly and then again into 1/4-inch pieces.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, lemon,feta, green beans and thyme. In a small bowl combine the rest of the lemon juice and the honey, whisk in the remainder of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.